When the Shades Cliff Pool Board met on Sunday, May 17th, 2020, a motion was presented and passed which calls for a membership vote regarding the operation of the pool for the 2020 summer season. Due to COVID 19, regular pool operations and procedures must be altered to keep in compliance with guidelines set forth by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), as well as other federal, state, and local authorities and to maintain the safety of the members and staff. If the majority vote YES to the below, these procedures will be in place until no longer warranted by the previously stated authorities and no longer needed to maintain safety of pool members and staff. Additional measures may be taken to maintain safety and compliance.
The membership is being asked to vote on whether to open with the stipulations and forfeit any potential of a partial refund of dues for the 2020 season; or to remain closed until the pool can operate under normal procedures and capacity, with the potential of a partial refund of dues if we are not able to open this season. Each member account is allowed one vote. (1 vote per family)
The options we’re asking you to consider are:
- To open the pool no later than Monday, May 31, 2020, with the following restrictions:
- The facility will have a maximum capacity of 50 members at all times
- Members will be allowed on a first come first served basis
- The pool will operate Monday-Saturday in 3 shifts: 10:00-1:00, 1:30-4:30, 5:00-close; the pool will operate on Sunday in 2 shifts: 1:00-4:30 and 5:00-close
- The facility will be closed between shifts to allow time for cleaning and sanitizing
- All members must exit the facility between shifts and may get back in line for the next shift which will be opened on a first come first served basis
- Members, as usual, will be asked to check in. In addition, members will need to check out so their spot can be filled by another person (if pool is at capacity)
- Members will enter only through the front entrance and exit only through the gate by the family restroom
- No guests will be allowed
- No parties will be allowed
- Chairs will be spaced 6ft apart and members are not to move chairs
- Social distancing will be observed while on Shades Cliff Property, pool deck, pool, outside pool area (Local authorities currently have the ability to close the pool if social distancing is not maintained)
- Girl’s and Boy’s restrooms will be closed. The family restroom will serve as the only restroom for the pool
- Ice machine, vending machine, and water fountain will not be available
- No grill
- Food deliveries must be met in the parking lot
- Baby pool will be limited to two households at a time
- Sharing of pool toys, balls, and dive sticks out of household will not be allowed at this time
- No tag games will be allowed
- Water aerobics will be temporarily suspended
- Lap swim will be temporarily suspended
- Swim and dive practice will take place with new guidelines to maintain safety and social distancing
- OR to have the pool remain closed until we can safely open with typical procedures and capacity. Even if the majority of members vote to keep the pool closed, we will open when the restrictions in place by government offices are lifted. If the restrictions are not lifted and the pool does not open for the entire summer season, a partial refund could be made. The amount of the refund would be determined after the close of the normal pool season. The pool incurs operational costs regardless of whether it is open or not.
The pool board has worked tirelessly to obtain all information possible regarding safely operating the pool in this environment. Information has been gathered through government websites, pool websites, phone conversations with pool operators throughout our community as well as some in neighboring states, and even on-site visits to other pools. This was a long and tedious process which required hours of work and meetings.
This is an unprecedented time. We’re all aware that guidelines as well as information regarding COVID 19 change daily. The pool must operate within these guidelines for the safety of our members, and our staff. Safety and ensuring we are allowed to remain open are our top priorities.
Shades Cliff Pool is a member owned pool; so the decision should be left up to the members. We realize, right now, neither option is anyone’s first choice. We all would like to see the pool open without restrictions in place. However, since that’s not the situation we find ourselves in, please take the time to vote for your preference of the available options. Your voice is appreciated.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we took the time necessary to develop this plan.